Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Roof Plans Change Again... and Other News

This is written on February 24th. Yesterday was a school day and it was an interesting day to say the least. Several community members had approached me with questions regarding the schools roof. Just an update, as of the most recent town meeting the town had decided that it was a good idea to change the roof of the school. They felt that although the cost would be high it was important to make sure that they school was secure from the rain before additional expensive materials were added to the building. Therefore I was a bit surprised to be approached so recently after the town meeting.

It turns out the community has decided that they are not sure how they feel about change the entire roof. They feel that the panels are structurally sound enough and will last several more years. To prove this a carpenter in the community climbed up to the roof and walked around surveying the roof itself. Just as he was telling me how structurally sound each panel was, and there was no need to worry... he fell through. He didn't fall through all the way, just a foot through the roof panel, but still, it was just perfectly appropriate. Honestly, I don't think anything better could have happened to prove my point.

However, now the problem is that I have a hole in the roof of the school directly above the classroom with the library. I have a town who does not want to change the roof to aluminum because the material is thin and they are not sure how long it will wear. I have over 1,000 screws which need to be changed in order to secure the current roof in place. I have over 216 delicate roof panels that need to be taken off in order to change the screws. And all the panels are currently made out of asbestos.

What to do what to do.... I think this project may take a bit more planning and may be waiting for next year; which is absolutely fine. I will get a very light weight person up on the roof to fix the new hole and several of the old damaged roof panels; I do not think it is even appropriate to change the screws as it will be very damaging to the roof panels itself. I hope the town understands. I will surely find out at the next meeting. Therefore, I've decided to start the bathroom, which I have been given the go ahead to use the aluminum as a trial. This way we can find out for how long an aluminum roof can last.

Other news includes school sponsorships. Tomorrow I will be heading back into Chinandega to exchange several of the uniforms which were not the right sizes, purchase one more backpack, and purchase all the shoes for the 18 students. New sponsors are continuing to join and sooner than later I think I may be able to begin sponsoring several additional children.

No comments: