Wednesday, April 16, 2008

As for updates on my life living at Rancho Esperanza, well, well where to start.







Nate has had a birthday back at the end of February where all the kids from the community came of and threw eggs at him. Don’t worry they really like him a lot it’s just a funny custom here. What a sight though, 30 plus kids charging Nate each with at least one egg. I think he smelled for about a week. Afterwards we did a huge piñata with the kids. I’m talking huge it was bigger than me!!! As it was Nate’s birthday he was able to have the first swing at it. All in all it took about an hour to break it open. Then there was cake with the kids and festivities with the adults in the evening!

Next Nate and I got a puppy. He is sooooo cute. Don’t worry Mom and Dad I still love my cat and can’t wait to get back and see him. The puppies name is Roñoso, which means scabby. Funny thing is when we got him he was about one to two months old and he had this huge scab on the tip of his nose and well the name just sort of stuck. He’s now about four months old and he’s really lived up to his name. He loves to dig holes in the Rancho floor as it is a sand floor however the sand flies love to dig holes all over his body. Therefore he is always covered in scabs!! But he’s still cute as a button and healthy as a whip I just got his last vaccination Wednesday morning so he’s up-to-date for the year!!

Let’s see, Semana Santa, the huge celebration week leading up to Easter was insane here at Rancho Esperanza. Typically Nathan and I are dealing with crowds no larger than 25 daily. We have communal meals and people just pitch in with chores, it’s simple and really homey feeling. However, during Semana Santa Nate runs Rancho Esperanza as a fully functional hotel with a bar and restaurant with several menu options. Let me tell it was insane. We had four chefs, two waiters, we had a live musician, and three people running both the bar and doing the compost runs. And yes don’t forget we run on a composting toilet system so we were running about 40 to 60 five-gallon buckets of kitchen scraps and human waste to the compost bins daily. We averaged about 150 people on Friday night alone, which we severed at the bar and in the restaurant. I don’t think I sat down all week. Every night starting on Wednesday we had at least 100 people per day. At nights we had all six cabañas full with up to six people in each. Although, we found out later some had 10 to 15 people. However, the beauty of Semana Santa was Nate was able to raise enough money to change the roof on the main Rancho which was falling apart.


So after one week of nothing but sleep literally, Nate commenced his roof changing projects. It was fun to watch but I’m glad it only took a week to do because I’m sooo sunburned from not having any roof over my head at any point during the day and the rains have finally begun. We now have our roof back on and a nice carport for the ambulance. Check out the pictures. They actually put the palm on the roof at night (because it was cooler) by lights run from batteries as the power company cut power to our village for about almost the entire week at night.


Last but not least I’ll try and tempt you all to come for a visit with the best sunset shot I think I’ve ever taken!! It’s beautiful, peaceful and just the way of life here!! Come visit I’ll be here till July as you all know, the great thing is it’s a hostel so there is plenty of room to stay!! Check out the website http://www.rancho.esperanza.bvg3.com/ if you want more info (it needs a bit of updating which we are working

No comments: